History (and sometimes, unfortunately, current events) shows us just how easily international borders can change, but we still like to think that they are permanent fixtures. These photos of different country borders around the world show you how both friendly and hostile nations like to fence off their turf.
Borders will often say much about countries’ relationships. On the borders between friendly nations, especially those in the European Union’s Schengen zone, the separations seem almost non-existent, marked by no more than a line or a road sign. Other borders are delineated by natural markers like rivers, or by man-made markers, like guard posts and demilitarized zones.
Now, if you’d like to know more about the relationships between this world’s countries, these amazing pictures on life in the borderland illustrate the different attitudes quite well. So scroll down below for our picks of the unique country borders. Hopefully, you’ll learn something new after looking at these interesting pictures!
1. Residents of Naco, Arizona and Naco, Mexico play volleyball match over fence between USA and Mexico
2. Slovakia, Austria and Hungary
3. Norway and Sweden
4. Netherlands and Belgium
Funny thing here is that you can be in Belgium in your kitchen and move over to Netherlands in your sitting room.
5. Haiti and the Dominican Republic, distinguished by their radically different environmental protection laws.
6. Australia and Everywhere.
7. Poland and Ukraine.
8. Zipline connects Spain and Portugal.
9. USA and Mexico
10. Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay.