Match Report: Leicester City 4-2 Manchester United – Red Devils collapse late-on

Youri Tielemans (L) and Jamie Vardy both scored against Manchester United

Leicester City came from behind to beat Manchester United 4-2 in a thriller on Saturday and end the Red Devils’ long unbeaten away run in the Premier League.

It looked as though United’s English league record of 29 games without defeat on the road would continue when Mason Greenwood opened the scoring with a stunning strike.

However, Leicester levelled through Youri Tielemans following an error from the returning Harry Maguire, and Caglar Soyuncu prodded home to put the hosts ahead with 12 minutes to go.

In a frantic finale, Marcus Rashford marked his first appearance of the season with an equaliser before Leicester restored their lead from kick-off, Jamie Vardy blasting home from Ayoze Perez’s cut-back.

Patson Daka added a fourth in injury time as United lost for the fourth time in seven matches.

Greenwood’s first attempt of the match was a placed effort from 25 yards out that was comfortably saved by Kasper Schmeichel. In the 19th minute, he went for power from the same position, blasting an unstoppable effort in off the left-hand post.

United threatened a second, Maguire heading over the bar from a corner and Schmeichel denying Cristiano Ronaldo from inside the box, although VAR would likely have intervened for a Jadon Sancho offside had the Portugal star scored.

The teams were level at the break, though, as United handed Leicester their equaliser. From a free-kick on the edge of their own box, some slack passing ended in Maguire being robbed by Kelechi Iheanacho, who laid the ball off to Tielemans to curl a finish over David de Gea from the edge of the area.

Leicester carried the greater threat after the restart, although Greenwood could not convert an excellent chance to restore United’s lead from six yards out.

The Foxes continued to cause problems winning the ball back high up the pitch, and Tielemans would have curled home a fine second goal had it not been for the fingertips of De Gea.

Soyuncu poked the ball in after a scramble at a Leicester corner, but Rashford’s timely return from a shoulder problem looked to have rescued United as he raced onto VIctor Lindelof’s pass and slotted high past Schmeichel.

Yet a minute later, Perez found space down the United right and found Vardy, who lashed a shot past De Gea, and Daka made certain of Leicester’s third win of the season when he bundled the ball in after Wan-Bissaka conceded a free-kick that United could not clear.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here