Bill Cosby has vowed to fight a civil lawsuit from a woman who claims he sexually assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 1964 following his release from prison.
The 83-year-old American comedian/actor, recently had his conviction for sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004 overturned because a prosecutor promised him that he wouldn’t be charged in 2005, which the court said led him to incriminate himself.
Dozens of more women have accused him of sexual assault and harassment but their claims were not criminally prosecuted because they fell outside of the statutes of limitations in the states where the offenses allegedly took place.
After he was freed last week, women’s rights attorney Gloria Allred held a press conference with some of Cosby’s accusers (she represents 33 of them) and said she would fight to hold him accountable by suing him in civil court.
Among the people, she is representing is Judi Huth. In 2015, Huth sued Cosby, alleging he attacked her at Hugh Hefner’s Playboy Mansion in California.
In a statement on Wednesday morning, July 7, his rep Andrew Wyatt said: ‘With the reversal of Mr. Cosby’s conviction, his legal team, led by Jennifer Bonjean of the Bonjean Law Group, now turns its attention to the civil lawsuit brought by Gloria Allred on behalf of her client Judy Huth.
‘Since Mr. Cosby’s release from prison and the dismissal of all charges against him, Ms. Allred has been hard at work giving press statements about the alleged merits of her client’s 45-year-old allegations.
‘Ms. Bonjean looks forward to fighting the case in the courthouse where it matters – rather than at press conferences on the courthouse stairs where it doesn’t.’
The next court date is August 13, when Cosby’s team says it will ‘get to the business of vindicating Mr. Cosby once and for all.’
Cosby’s team stated that he will go on the road to ‘tell his story’ after being freed from prison and that he is already in partnership with ‘documentary makers’.