Monday, April 19, 2021
No menu items!
Home SHOWBIZ Archbishop of Canterbury breaks silence on Harry and Meghan's secret wedding claims

Archbishop of Canterbury breaks silence on Harry and Meghan’s secret wedding claims

Archbishop of Canterbury breaks silence on Harry and Meghan

 

The Archbishop of Canterbury has addressed for the first time the remark made by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle that he conducted a private wedding for them at a secret ceremony before their Windsor Castle wedding.

 

Breaking his silence on what the couple told Oprah Winfrey in an interview, Justin Welby said he signed Harry and Meghan’s wedding certificate on the day millions watched them marry.

 

The legal wedding was on Saturday, May 19, 2018 at St George’s Chapel, he said.

 

In her interview, Meghan told Oprah Winfrey that she and Harry were married “just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury.”

 

Harry chipped in, adding, “Just the three of us.”

 

But the 65-year-old told an Italian newspaper yesterday, March 30: “The legal wedding was on the Saturday.”

 

He was asked “what happened with Meghan and Harry? Did you really marry them three days before the official wedding?”

 

He said: “The legal wedding was on the Saturday. I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offence if I signed it knowing it was false.

 

“So you can make what you like about it. But the legal wedding was on the Saturday. But I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.”

 

The Archbishop of Canterbury declined to provide further details on his discussions with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle prior to their nuptials.

 

“If any of you ever talk to a priest, you expect them to keep that talk confidential. It doesn’t matter who I’m talking to.” he said

 

“I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the duke and duchess before the wedding… But I won’t say what happened at any other meetings.” He added

Archbishop of Canterbury breaks silence on Harry and Meghan

Harry and Meghan, who have now been completely relieved of their royal duties, backtracked on their private ceremony claim in a statement last week.

 

It had drawn heavy suspicion, partly because a legal marriage in the UK requires two witnesses.

 

A spokesman for the couple told US website the Daily Beast: “The couple exchanged personal vows a few days before their official/legal wedding on May 19.”


LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Liverpool striker, Mohamed Salah confirmed as new captain of the Egyptian national team

Liverpool striker, Mohamed Salah has been named as the new captain of the Egyptian national team, the EFA announced on Monday.   The national team captaincy...

Moment friends poured a bottle of wine on singer, Simi, as she celebrates her birthday (Video)

Nigerian singer, Simisola Kosoko aka Simi, is inarguably the most excited birthday celebrant today, April 19, as she is bent on enjoying her birthday...

“I don’t exchange words with someone that will reduce my IQ” – Tonto Dikeh says amid Halima Abubakar and Bobrisky’s drama

Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh has revealed that she doesn’t argue or exchange words with anyone that would reduce her Intelligent Quotient (IQ). Her statement comes...

“Don’t let babes with sugar daddy make you feel like you are not doing enough” – Tacha

Popular brand influencer, Natacha Akide, better known as Tacha dishes words of advice to her fellow queens on the importance of not getting distracted...

Recent Comments