Dominion is seeking more than $1.3 billion in damages over claims they deleted Trump votes to give Biden a win.
The lawsuit notes that while Giuliani spread falsehoods about Dominion being owned by Venezuelan communists and corrupting the election, he did not make those claims in lawsuits he pushed on behalf of Trump.
“Just as Giuliani and his allies intended, the Big Lie went viral on social media as people tweeted, retweeted, and raged that Dominion had stolen their votes. While some lies — little lies — flare up on social media and die with the next news cycle, the Big Lie was different,” lawyers for Dominion wrote in the lawsuit, filed in DC District Court on Monday morning, January 25.
“The harm to Dominion’s business and reputation is unprecedented and irreparable because of how fervently millions of people believe it.”
This is the second defamation lawsuit Dominion has filed in recent weeks following the election.
The vote auditing company previously sued lawyer Sidney Powell, who pushed similar claims alongside Giuliani.
In the lawsuit Monday, the company claimed Giuliani continued to claim without evidence that Dominion aided election fraud even after he received a cease-and-desist letter.
According to Dominion, Guiliani, the former mayor of New York repeated his claims on podcasts, his radio show and YouTube shows.
Giuliani also appeared on TV networks OANN, Fox and Fox Business to make accusations of election fraud, the lawsuit notes.
Dominion also details how on January 6 — hours before a crowd of Trump supporters in Washington violently overran the Capitol — Giuliani continued to push claims of election fraud about Dominion in tweets, on a YouTube appearance and in his own speech at the event.
Giuliani said at the rally, that he knew of an expert who had examined Dominion voting machines and saw changed votes, concluding, “This election was stolen,” according to the complaint.
Dominion sent Giuliani a second letter, asking for a retraction on January 10, the company says.
“Giuliani has not retracted his false claims about Dominion, and many of his false and defamatory television and radio appearances and tweets remain available online to a global internet audience
The company believes hundreds of its contracts with states and localities are now in jeopardy and that the business projects a loss of profits in the next five years of $200 million, as it is now distrusted by millions of American voters while its employees have been harassed.