Real Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has taken full responsibility for their elimination from the Copa del Rey in the round of 32.
Los Blancos were dumped out of the competition on Thursday by Spanish third division side Alcoyano.
However, Zidane says the shock defeat is “not a disgrace.”
Madrid lost 2-1 in extra-time, with Alcoyano playing the last 10 minutes a man down after Ramon Lopez saw red.
“We tried. The players gave their all on the pitch.
“I’m the coach, the responsibility is mine. I’m responsible. We’ve played against a third division team and we should have won but it’s not a disgrace,” Zidane told the media after the game.
Asked if he is feeling under pressure, Zidane said: “I’m calm. We will see what happens in the next few days.”
Casemiro and Lucas Vazquez were the only regulars included in Zidane’s starting XI against Alcoyano.
However, Zidane brought out Karim Benzema after the hour and trio Toni Kroos, Eden Hazard and Marco Asensio at the start of extra time in the hope of finding the winner.
However, it was Alcoyano that struck five minutes from time.
“This is football. These are things that happen in the life of a footballer. Had we scored the second goal it would have been a different game. Their goalkeeper made two or three saves,” Zidane added.
Madrid had gone into the game looking to bounce back from last week’s Super Cup semi-final defeat to Athletic Bilbao.
“It’s another painful day. We are now out of the Copa. It’s a difficult time. But we are not going to go crazy right now. We are going to think and continue to work,” he said.